Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Hydro King
Mega Spammer
Hydro King

The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread Empty
PostSubject: The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread   The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 8:18 pm

This thread is all about competitive battling. You can discuss anything about competitive battling here. - You can also challenge people to battles in this thread too.
Well, that's pretty much it. Oh, and please try not to discuss anything else but competitive battling here.
Back to top Go down
Fire Strike
Admin
Fire Strike

PostSubject: Re: The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread   The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 8:20 pm

Suppose I should sticky this, it is official after all XD

Good luck, battlers! cat I shall be taking no part of it.

-FS
Back to top Go down
http://dra-cat.deviantart.com/
otaku-dono
Mega Spammer
otaku-dono

PostSubject: Re: The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread   The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 9:10 pm

Ok, first topic ^_^

What do you think of the tier reshuffle?
Back to top Go down
Hydro King
Mega Spammer
Hydro King

PostSubject: Re: The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread   The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 9:34 pm

Thanks, FS!

What do you think of the tier reshuffle?
Um, okay I guess... Although I don't normally care which tier any Pokemon is in... <(except when I'm entering a tournament or something that restricts how many OUs you can have on a team)
Back to top Go down
otaku-dono
Mega Spammer
otaku-dono

PostSubject: Re: The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread   The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 9:49 pm

Me either, but it's really interesting to talk about from the perspective of the majority of people who actually do give a damn.

One interesting thing is OU Porygon2 and BL/UU Porygon-Z. Your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Hydro King
Mega Spammer
Hydro King

PostSubject: Re: The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread   The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 10:10 pm

OD wrote:
One interesting thing is OU Porygon2 and BL/UU Porygon-Z. Your thoughts?
Um, I think you mean "OU Porygon-Z and BL/UU Porygon2".
But anyway, Porygon-Z seams to have found quite a suitable place being OU. <(where I believe it should be) I think they moved him to OU because of his diverse movepool combined with his awesome Sp.Attack stat and his ability to pull Choice Scarfing off nicely.

I don't know what to think about Porygon2 being in BL though, because I haven't paid much attention to it...
Back to top Go down
otaku-dono
Mega Spammer
otaku-dono

PostSubject: Re: The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread   The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 10:16 pm

No, no I don't. Porygon2 in OU, Porygon-Z in BL/UU.

Porygon-Z doesn't have reliable special STAB, which severely lets it down. It either goes Hyper Beam or Tri Attack, Tri Attack being favoured more often than not. Porygon2 is used for a complete other reason: Trick Room.
Back to top Go down
Hydro King
Mega Spammer
Hydro King

PostSubject: Re: The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread   The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 10:46 pm

But on Smogon it shows Porygon-Z in OU and Porygon2 in BL.
I know Porygon-Z doesn't have great Special STAB, but it can carry the element of surprise with its huge movepool. <(it could have Tri Attack for good normal STAB combined with Adaptability, Ice Beam for dragons, Thunderbolt for Gyarados, and HP Fighting for Weavile and Tyranitar, all the while being able to surprisingly out-speed them with Choice Scarf)

But yeah, looking at Porygon2 now, I could see it fitting into a Trick Room strategy...
Back to top Go down
otaku-dono
Mega Spammer
otaku-dono

PostSubject: Re: The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread   The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 12:52 am

Really? Hmm... I swear that I had a reliable source saying it was the other way around...

135 Sp.A is very impressive, tied with Alakazam. It has Nasty Plot too, which is total pwnage on that Sp.A. The speed is not good though, at 95, and like you said only Scarf can save it.
Back to top Go down
Hydro King
Mega Spammer
Hydro King

PostSubject: Re: The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread   The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 11:58 am

OD wrote:
Really? Hmm... I swear that I had a reliable source saying it was the other way around...
Yeah? Well, Um, I'm just wondering... - What Smogon has is official, right?

OD wrote:

135 Sp.A is very impressive, tied with Alakazam. It has Nasty Plot too, which is total pwnage on that Sp.A. The speed is not good though, at 95, and like you said only Scarf can save it.
Indeed. - Even then though, your opponent might know what your planning, proceeding to send out a respectable counter and ruining you game plan. I guess putting Porygn-Z into OU was a little bit of a jump...
Back to top Go down
otaku-dono
Mega Spammer
otaku-dono

PostSubject: Re: The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread   The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread EmptyThu Nov 06, 2008 12:03 pm

Yes it is official (for Shoddy at least).

And really, if you Scarf you have to forgo Nasty Plot, if you just sweep you have to forgo Scarf. It's pretty much fail either way, since any Pokemon with more/tied speed can usually OHKO it. 85/70/75 is not flash defensive stats, and when Gallade and Lucario occupy that 95 speed tier it's not a good thing. Then there's other sweepers with a touch more speed which can rape it with any attack.
Back to top Go down
Hydro King
Mega Spammer
Hydro King

PostSubject: Re: The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread   The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 11:08 am

Well, I think it's time for a new topic:

What is the moveset of one of your good Pokemon?
Here's my Togekiss:

Air Slash
Nasty Plot
Roost
Baton Pass
Nature: Timid
Item: Salac Berry
EVs: 255-Speed/255-Sp.Defense

The main thing to do with this Togekiss is to send it out against a Sp.Attacker and use Nasty Plot. If the opponent sends out a fast electric type to counter Togekiss, prepare for a Roost. The opponent's electric type should leave Toakekiss with a small amount of HP, activating Salac Berry. Once that's done, use Baton Pass to switch to a good counter and sweep away.
Air Slash is there so that Togekiss can attack when needed.
Back to top Go down
Katsu
Mega Spammer
Katsu

PostSubject: Re: The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread   The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 11:24 am

What is the moveset of one of your good Pokemon?

Kalma (Weavile) @ Fucus Sash
Jolly/Pressure

- Swords Dance
- Brick Break
- Night Slash
- Ice Shard

EV: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP

Swords Dance, stay alive thanks to Focus Sash and sweep. She used to be my lead and turned out to be very useful ^_^

Yup.
Back to top Go down
otaku-dono
Mega Spammer
otaku-dono

PostSubject: Re: The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread   The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 2:30 pm

HK, I think the EV spread is a little off. Go for 252 Sp.A, 252 HP and 4 Sp.D instead. That way, you cover both defenses instead of just one.

And I see you are of the Night Slash kind, PS. Interesting decision. ^_^

Exeggutor @Life Orb
Adamant Nature.
252 Atk, 252 HP, 4 Speed.

- Wood Hammer
- Swords Dance
- Explosion
- Zen Headbutt

Quite self explanatory. Wood Hammer and Zen Headbutt for STAB, Explosion for anything which can counter it, Swords Dance for the sweep. Life Orb is worth the recoil here, as when HP gets too low you can just go boom and it won't matter. Speed is the only real issue, so team up with something knowing Sunny Day for best sweeping effect.
Back to top Go down
Niedude
Mega Spammer
Niedude

PostSubject: Re: The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread   The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 4:50 pm

Gah, havent done actual movesets in ages, but I can see if I can remember what my Arcanine was...

Note: My memory sucks, so its probably off on the EV's, and with new moves added it will definetly change once I have the time.

Burst (Arcanine) @ Life Orb/ Choice Band (can't remember which)
(the one that raises atk and drops Sp. Attack, bad memory I tellz yah)
252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Hp

Flare Blitz
Thunder Fang
Extremespeed
Iron Tail

This one was purely done over my love of Arcanine so its pretty much there just because of that, favouritism.
Abilities go up to preference, one gives an immunity but Intimidate drops stats, which always help a sweeper.
Life Orb is powerful, but with Flare blitz the recoil will stack up fast, thats why Choice Band can be an alternative, however, Arcanine dislikes being locked to oe move.
Extremespeed can give a last attack before the recoil stacks up and the oponnent kills it, though.
Back to top Go down
Hydro King
Mega Spammer
Hydro King

PostSubject: Re: The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread   The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 3:44 pm

OD wrote:
HK, I think the EV spread is a little off. Go for 252 Sp.A, 252 HP and 4 Sp.D instead. That way, you cover both defenses instead of just one.
Um, the main gist of this Togekiss is to survive a Thunderbolt or Ice Beam while throwing up a Nasty Plot, activate Salac Berry, and run like the dickens. I mean, I can see where you're coming from with the HP, but if I invested in Sp.Attack instead of Speed, Togekiss would be left as a sitting duck. <(especially against Jolteon)

@Kat's set: Indeed, that Weavile looks pretty good for a lead!

@OD's set: Yeah, I could see it working nicely with Sunny Day. <(although you'd need to watch out for Sandstream and Snow Warning)

@Nie's set: I would go with Flash Fire over Intimidate because it can help Arcanine do some tremendous damage by powering up Flare Blitz.

Ah heck, I might as well list Blastoise here too...

Hydro King* (Blastoise) @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
252 Sp.Attack, 252 Defense, 4 HP.

- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- HP (Electric)

The main thing about this set is that it has 3 attacks that can hit some of the most common Pokemon in CB with a 4x weakness, <(Gyarados, Tyranitar, Weavile, Salamence, Dragonite, Glizor, and Torterra - almost all of which always go physical) taking them down with a single blow.
Back to top Go down
otaku-dono
Mega Spammer
otaku-dono

PostSubject: Re: The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread   The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 5:34 pm

Hydro King wrote:
OD wrote:
Um, the main gist of this Togekiss is to survive a Thunderbolt or Ice Beam while throwing up a Nasty Plot, activate Salac Berry, and run like the dickens. I mean, I can see where you're coming from with the HP, but if I invested in Sp.Attack instead of Speed, Togekiss would be left as a sitting duck. <(especially against Jolteon)
Whoopsie forgot about speed completely. =S But that is true, although it'd get eaten alive by Weavile.
HK wrote:
@Kat's set: Indeed, that Weavile looks pretty good for a lead!
Sadly, a lead is all Weavile is good for in the day and age of Stealth Rock.
HK wrote:
@OD's set: Yeah, I could see it working nicely with Sunny Day. <(although you'd need to watch out for Sandstream and Snow Warning)
That's why Trick Room works even better. It can't be countered as easily, and since Exeggutor has quite low speed (55 I think) it's do really well there.
HK wrote:
@Nie's set: I would go with Flash Fire over Intimidate because it can help Arcanine do some tremendous damage by powering up Flare Blitz.
You don't want it committing suicide though. =/

A sweeping Blastoise aye HK... With 85 Sp.A, it won't be doing much except on those 4x weaknesses. It really is only a UU viable set, where it gets rid of Dodrio, Fearow, Rhyperior, etc.
Back to top Go down
Hydro King
Mega Spammer
Hydro King

PostSubject: Re: The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread   The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 8:27 pm

OD wrote:
A sweeping Blastoise aye HK... With 85 Sp.A, it won't be doing much except on those 4x weaknesses. It really is only a UU viable set, where it gets rid of Dodrio, Fearow, Rhyperior, etc.
Yeah, but I can try... =/ <(I've used him in OU battles before and he turned out very good overall with HP (electric) because most people send out Gyarados to wall Blastoise while Dragon Dancing) I guess I like doing uncommon things! 8D (even though it can kill me at times >_<; ) Also, I wouldn't exactly call that Blastoise a sweeper, but anyway...

OD wrote:
Whoopsie forgot about speed completely. =S But that is true, although it'd get eaten alive by Weavile.
True, but only by an Ice Punching Weavile.
Back to top Go down
otaku-dono
Mega Spammer
otaku-dono

PostSubject: Re: The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread   The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread EmptyThu Nov 20, 2008 2:39 am

HK wrote:
True, but only by an Ice Punching Weavile.
Every single Weavile is an Ice Punching Weavile I think you'll find.
HK wrote:
Yeah, but I can try... =/ <(I've used him in
OU battles before and he turned out very good overall with HP
(electric) because most people send out Gyarados to wall Blastoise
while Dragon Dancing) I guess I like doing uncommon things! 8D (even
though it can kill me at times >_<; ) Also, I wouldn't exactly
call that Blastoise a sweeper, but anyway...
I find that Blastoise is a very incomplete Pokemon in every way. But that's just me.
Back to top Go down
Niedude
Mega Spammer
Niedude

PostSubject: Re: The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread   The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread EmptyThu Nov 20, 2008 5:38 am

I would advice switching Surf with Mirror Coat, specifically because -and you said it yourself- that Blastoise's attacks only fare well with Physicall opponents.

A special attacking sweeper would kill that Blastoise, especially if it is the ever so common Jolteon. That is where Mirror Coat would come in handy.
Back to top Go down
Hydro King
Mega Spammer
Hydro King

PostSubject: Re: The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread   The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread EmptyThu Nov 20, 2008 8:50 am

OD wrote:
Every single Weavile is an Ice Punching Weavile I think you'll find.
Incorrect. I've had plenty of battles with people using Ice Shard instead of Ice Punch for Weavile.

Quote :
I find that Blastoise is a very incomplete Pokemon in every way. But that's just me.
You may find that, but seriously, Blastoise has done a great job for my team overall.

Niedude wrote:
I would advice switching Surf with Mirror Coat, specifically because -and you said it yourself- that Blastoise's attacks only fare well with Physicall opponents.

A special attacking sweeper would kill that Blastoise, especially if it is the ever so common Jolteon. That is where Mirror Coat would come in handy.
Hey, you're onto something there, Nie. That way, if an opponent does send out a Special sweeper to counter Blastoise, it might be possible to take down that Pokemon down with me. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
otaku-dono
Mega Spammer
otaku-dono

PostSubject: Re: The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread   The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread EmptyThu Nov 20, 2008 11:55 pm

I should've just copied my Blastoise set I made on SPPf... >_>;; I think it was...

- Mirror Coat
- Surf
- Yawn/Roar
- Toxic
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread   The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

The Official SPC Competitive Battling Thread
Page 1 of 1